Welcome to the American Fisheries Society: UWSP Student Sub-Unit!
Whether you're a Fisheries major, fishing fanatic, fish lover, or just interested in learning about what our Society does, this is the place for you! The American Fisheries Society: UWSP Student Sub-Unit is an astounding resource for any young professional looking to gain experience in Fisheries fieldwork, connect with professionals, learn about current research projects, and enhance their educational career. Our Society provides numerous opportunities in Fisheries fieldwork such as electroshocking, fyke netting, assisting with sturgeon spawning, etc., as well as hands-on workshops, professional networking events, community outreach, and various volunteer activities across the state. Our Society is also a great way to socialize with fellow classmates, connect with those who share similar interests, and have fun.
We hope you'll join us on Wednesdays at 5:00pm in TNR 170 for our weekly meeting. ALL majors are welcome! If you would like to join the Society, membership dues are $5 for one semester and $8 for the whole school year.
If you have any questions or are interested in learning more about us, please contact:
Check the Announcements below for information on upcoming speakers and projects!
- Wednesday, September 16th - Greg Sass, Fisheries Research Leader at Escanaba Lake, presents on his line of work, career path, and advice for undergrads; social at Bukolt Park after the meeting!
- Wednesday, September 23rd - Aaron Schiller presents on his summer internship in South Dakota; vehicle agreement forms filled out & signed after the meeting.
- Wednesday, September 30th - Jordan Weeks, WDNR Fisheries Biologist for La Crosse, Monroe, Vernon, and Crawford counties, presents on his field of work.
- Wednesday, October 7th - Dr. Gretchen Hansen, WDNR Fisheries Research Scientist, presents on her research projects.
- Wednesday, October 14th - Dr. John Lyon, WDNR Fisheries Research Scientist, presents on the Walleye Fisheries of the Lower Wisconsin River.
- Saturday/Sunday, October 17th-18th - Little Plover River Survey
- Wednesday, October 21st - Drew Lockwood, one of our members, will be talking about his Yellowstone summer internship
- Wednesday, October 28th - Presentation on the Little Plover River Survey, apparel order form information.
- Wednesday, November 4th - Mike Seider, USFWS fish biologist in Ashland, WI; apparel information
- Friday/Saturday/Sunday, November 6th-8th - WI River Survey
- Wednesday, November 11th - David Rowe, WDNR Fisheries Team Supervisor based out of Fitchburg, presents on his research and career advice; pick up apparel order forms
- Wednesday, November 18th - Wednesday, November 18th - project leaders for both Little Plover River and WI River surveys present on results; APPAREL ORDER FORMS DUE
- Wednesday, December 2nd - Hadley Boehm